Remember Cinnamon Toothpicks?

Combine the yummy pleasure, invigorating aroma and health benefits of cinnamon by making your own this fall.  Bonus...your friends will think you smell great!  

Thanks goes to Stacy McDonald for this guest post! Enjoy :)



Remember cinnamon tooth picks? We weren’t allowed to bring them to school because someone might hurt themselves, which made them all the more precious. Soaked in fiery cinnamon, sucking on one of these toothpicks was kind of like eating red hots, without all the chemicals and nasty dyes.

I decided, since I have pure, therapeutic-grade cinnamon essential oil, that I would take a shot at making my own batch of “Fire Sticks.” They turned out really well, so when my daughter, Jessica, walked into the room, I asked her if she wanted to try one. She looked at me with a blank stare, “You want me to try a toothpick?”

“Well, I don’t want you to take a bite out of it, if that’s what you mean!”

She put one in her mouth and looked a little surprised. “That’s really good!”

How have my children gotten through life without ever having tried a Fire Stick? And we homeschool for crying out loud!

How about you? Would you like to make a batch? I decided I’m putting them in the gift baskets I’m making this Christmas. Share the love!



Homemade Cinnamon Sticks

200 plain, round, wooden toothpicks
20 drops of cinnamon essential oil
1 tsp. vodka or vegetable oil (if you use the vegetable oil, you’ll need to allow the toothpicks to “dry” before final storage)
2 drops liquid Stevia
1 quart sized zipper bag
1 glass jelly jar

Place toothpicks into zipper bag, laying evenly on their sides. Add oil, alcohol, and Stevia directly on top of the toothpicks. Seal the bag, and distribute the mixture over the toothpicks by squooshing together for a few minutes. Once oil is evenly distributed, transfer toothpicks to a glass jar and seal shut (do not store “wet” toothpicks in plastic).

Essential oil-based products (and all food products) are best stored in glass, but after the toothpicks are completely dry, you should be able to store them in plastic without too much of an issue. I plan to add them to my gift baskets by putting them in a mini zipper bag (found at craft stores in the jewelry section) and then putting them in a muslin draw string bag.


No comments:

Post a Comment